Ethics Advisory Board
We believe journalistic ethics and medical research do go hand-in-glove.
In today’s ‘fake news’ world, journalists must go the extra mile to protect patients from misleading information and focus on innovative therapies that will save lives and reduce overall health costs.
The highest priority for health publishers is protecting patients who might be negatively impacted from misleading news. Which means ‘do no harm.’
In 1999, several eHealth 1.0 leaders gathered in New York City to define news publishing standards for the digital ecosystem. Most of those publishing standards remain effective today.
Many media reports overemphasize potential benefits, ignore obvious shortcomings, and do not present cost issues.
But, after reviewing thousands of health news stories about medications, interventions, and vaccines over the past 20 years, we have found a clear pattern of imbalanced media reporting.
The Precision Vax Advisory Board has defined the specific criteria to ensure healthcare providers and consumers develop informed opinions from new research. We believe our Guiding Principles address the basic issues people need to know to make informed decisions.
Additionally, we support these industry-leading non-profit, health news publishing criteria:
- Authoritative: is the source from qualified authors
- Complementarity: all published information should enhance, not replace, the doctor/nurse/pharmacist relationship with patients
- Attribution: citations clearly identify the source(s) of the relevant research
- Transparency: the independence from bias shall at all times be preserved
- Financial disclosure: related funding source and researcher relationship must be communicated appropriately
Advisory Board Leadership Team:
Don Ward Hackett, Publisher, and Dr. Robert Carlson, Clinical Editor, have been collaborating and publishing health news and vaccine information for 10 years. Board members have previous, direct subject matter knowledge.
- Jeremy H. Ashley, Pharm.D., Health Services Pharmacist, Brookshire Grocery Company
Crockett Tidwell RPh, CDE, Clinical Services Manager at United Supermarkets Pharmacy